Walls, Wars, and Old White Men
It seems to me that most of the world’s problems are created by old men – old fart politicos who are frequently, though not always, of the white persuasion. I know this isn’t remotely “pc”: but when we lose one of these guys to the annals of time and history, there’s a part of me that celebrates – a little fillip of hope dances in my heart. The dance, unfortunately becomes a little less enthusiastic the next time I watch the news, and slows more with each subsequent viewing. But a tiny shiver of hope always remains, waiting to be revived, sustained by the knowledge these guys can’t live forever……(except for Dick Cheney.)
Not to make excuses for my terrible attitude, but these are the guys who keep using the same old beat-up ideas to beat up on others – seems like they wouldn’t recognize an original thought if it whacked them hard on the back of the head! (And speaking of bats, maybe we should start a “trade in your guns for bats” campaign; it’s a little more intimidating to contemplate exchanging close-up bone-crushing blows rather than firing off those tiny, impersonal bullets from a distance.) Furthermore, I think we need a constitutional amendment that states: “Anyone prepared to declare war must also be prepared to personally conduct that war on the front lines, on the ground.” That might nip some of this gratuitous war-mongering right in the bud. (Oh, PS: if you can’t go, your kid or any other able-bodied relation goes.)
And another thing: the UN – don’t get me started……oh well, too late…..this venerable institution which began with such huge promise for the entire world has become a paralyzed, toothless old fossil with nonads in place of gonads. It needs a big kick-in-the-ass and definitely a damn sight more women occupying those chairs with their different kind of gonads representing. If I were one of these women some of the first things I’d propose are:
– IF a country or countries cannot, within a specified period (say six to nine months max) resolve internal and external conflicts, and major social issues such as the abuse and exploitation of children or women, they will lose their right to sovereignity and the UN will step in until the problem is solved. If they don’t comply, they are booted out of the UN, NATO, EU, WTO etc. All aid and other emergency support would then go directly to the people, and this would be supervised by an adequate contingent of UN reps and troops. All trade and any other international financial dealings or incentives would stop. No ifs, No ands, No buts. If compliance is then exhibited for a number of years (TBD) they may get to rejoin all clubs on a probationary basis.
– NO country gets to build a border wall instead of solving the real problems which have created the perceived “need” for a wall. (What a cheesy bs way of dealing with things!)
– NO country gets to refuse to participate in the International Criminal Court, any environmental summit, UN, or World Trade meetings.
– NO country gets to unilaterally block UN mandates or decisions, rather a majority vote of all member countries is required. The “security council” will be eliminated.
– NO country gets to keep its nukes, especially while telling everyone else they can’t have them. (This one particularly irks me – reminding me of parents who tell their kids they can’t smoke while they stand there puffing away.)
Well, that’s it for now, my bile level has reached its daily quota and then some. – buon carnage!